As of today, an integration with Google reCAPTCHA is available for all JobBoard.io customers! Spam registrations from bots can be really frustrating to deal with. If a bot gets on your site, you may see 30, 40, 50+ fake registrations every day. Even with account approval required, filtering through those fake registrations to find real sign ups is a pain. Now you can stop the bots before they register with Google reCAPTCHA. The reCAPTCHA service is free with a Google account, so there’s no additional cost to implement.
Our integration will use reCAPTCHA v2. When designing the integration we found this to be the simplest option for users to get up and running. The v2 integration adds the familiar reCAPTCHA checkbox to the desired forms. If Google suspects bot activity, additional tests will be required for the user to prove they’re human. The reCAPTCHA checks will not be presented to job seekers and employers who are logged in. This will provide a more user friendly experience to your visitors, and bots won’t be able to get accounts since they’ll be blocked in the sign up process. There may be a warm up period where some spam accounts need to be removed from your board, but long term we believe this strategy will be effective.
Registering with Google reCAPTCHA
Signing up for reCAPTCHA with Google is extremely easy, and shouldn’t take more than a few minutes. You’ll want to make sure you’re logged into your Google account to get started.
- Begin with Google’s reCATPCHA creation.
- Enter a Label that will make it easy to identify your site in the future.
- Under reCAPTCHA type, choose reCAPTCHA v2. Make sure the “I’m not a robot” Checkbox is the sub-option selected.
- Add your domain under the Domains section. Your registration is restricted to the domains you enter here, plus any subdomains. In other words, a registration for example.com also registers subdomain.example.com. A valid domain requires a host and must not include any path, port, query or fragment. If you have more than one site with JobBoard.io, adding all domains here will allow you to place reCAPTCHA on every site using the same API keys.
- You’ll appear as an owner, but if you’d like to give anyone else access to manage this reCAPTCHA you can enter their e-mail address.
- Read and Accept the Terms of Service.
- Click Submit.
- You should now see your Site Key and Secret Key on screen. Keep this window open so we can enter these values in your JobBoard.io Admin.
Adding reCAPTCHA to JobBoard.io
Once you have your API keys, activating reCAPTCHA on your site only takes a minute.
- Navigate to Site Config in your Admin Panel, and select the Integrations tab.
- Scroll down and look for the Google reCAPTCHA integration.
- Copy the Site Key and Secret Key over from your Google account.
- Choose which forms you’d like the reCAPTCHA box to appear on. We’ve made this available on the Employer and Profile Registration forms, the Job Posting form, and the Job Application pop up.
- Click Save.
Thats it! You’re ready to block bots. If you’d like to come back to these instructions later, we’ll be keeping up to date information in our Support Documentation.